Revised 04/12/2019



[LOND351] Simon de Londres.

[LOND361] William I de Londres was one of the twelve knights rewarded by Marcher Lord [FHAM341] Robert FitzHamon (see HAMON) for assisting him during his conquest into Wales which resulted in the slaying of Prince Rees and his son Conan.

The remaining eleven knights were: Richard de Granville (settled in Neath), Peganus [Payn] de Turberville (held Coity, in present-day Bridgend, see later), Robert [?Herbert/Richard] St. Quintin (settled in Llanblethian), Richard de Syward (held the lordship of Talyfan, with the sub-manor of Merthyr Mawr close to Ogmore, whose descendant Richard Siward, Lord of Talyfan and Llanblethian, was outlawed in 1245 for treason), Gilbert de Umfreville (settled in Penmark), Roger de Berkrolls, Reginald de Sully, Peter le Soor [possibly Peter the Sewer or Steward or Dapifer], John le Fleming (granted the manors of St. George, Wenvoe, Flemingston, Llandmaes, etc), Oliver de St. John (may have held Fonmon Manor, a mile from Penmark) and William de Esteringe.

ruins of Ogmore Castle
near Bridgend

(29 May 2008)


William de Londre's reward was the grant of the manor of Ogmore (where he built a castle c.1116), and also the sub-manor of Dunraven (3 miles south of Ogmore).


Close to Ogmore, which is near Bridgend (Glamorgan), William founded the Benedictine Priory at Ewenny (under St. Peter's Abbey, Gloucester). William married Matilda, and died c.1126.



[LOND371] Maurice married Adeliza. Maurice became feudal Lord of Kidwelly and acquired the castle there (originally built by Bishop Roger of Salisbury). Thereafter the fortunes of Ogmore were tied up with Kidwelly, which were some distance. Maurice successfully fought against Gwenllian (wife of Gruffudd ap Rhys, see SOUTH WALES PRINCES) at Kidwelly (1136). Maurice died 1149, and his handsome tomb slab is in Ewenny Priory Church. The inscription reads:



Londres tombs
(28 July 2004)


[LOND381] William II was ostensibly Lord of Kidwelly, but during this period a number of castles in south Wales (probably including Kidwelly) were captured by Lord Rhys (son of the above mentioned Gwenllian), and Rhys was certainly in occupation at 1190, when he built the new stone castle there. Rhys died in 1197, and the castle was back in William's hands by 1201. William died c.1211, and his tomb slab, broken in four pieces, with parts missing, is thought at one time to have read (according to a leaflet available at the Priory Church):



[LOND392] Eve (daughter of William II) married [TRAC381] Lord Oliver II of Barnstaple (see TRACY).

[LOND391] Sir Thomas (2nd son of William II), was [Marcher] Lord of Ogmore and Kidwelly (see MARCHES), married [FZWN472] Eva FitzWarin (daughter of Sir Fulk II, see WARIN). In 1215 Llywelyn fawr ab Iorwerth was on the offensive and ordered the late Lord Rhys' son, Rhys Gryg, to capture and burn Kidwelly. William died c.1216, but it is not clear if in fact he lost his life during this revolt.

[LOND402] Hawyse (daughter & heiress of Thomas) received back Kidwelly from Rhys Gryg (1220), rather reluctantly on the orders of Llywelyn fawr ab Iorwerth. Hawyse married 1. (1224) [BRAM462] Walter de Brewose (see BREWOSE BARONY, killed during the Welsh war of 1233-34), but in the meantime Kidwelly captured again by the Welsh (1231). Hawyse then married 2. Henry de Turberville, who is also referred to under MARTIN BARONY, and was no doubt related to Sir Gilbert de Turberville who held Coity Castle (not far from Ogmore) about this time.

ruins of Coity Castle, near Bridgend
(29 May 2008)

Henry died  around 1234-39, and Hawyse then married 3. (1243) [CHAW481] Patric I de Charworth (see CHAORCES), at which time Hawyse recovered Kidwelly Castle. Her tomb slab survived until recent times (though its present whereabouts are not known). According to a leaflet available at the Priory Church, the slab had the incised full length figure of Hawise, with head and shoulders missing, and the very indistinct inscription probably read:




In the Inquisitions Post Mortem there is a reference dated 16th October 1244 to "Hawisia, late wife of Henry de Turbervil" holding a third part in dower of Braneys (aka Bradninch or Braneis) Manor, Devon. The manor of Bradness had been granted, in 1226, to Ralph de Trubleville [Turberville] (who died before 1238). Later in the reign of King Henry III, William de la Londe was lord of Bradninch or Braneys, which then escheated to the crown for want of heirs.

There is also a reference dated 23rd September 1274 to "Hawis de London" holding Hanedon and Inglesham Manors (Wilts), and Esegarton Manor (Berks), her son "Sir Payn de Cadurciis" being her heir and of full age.